We would like to invite all EuroPython attendees and EuroPython Society (EPS) members to attend this year’s EPS General Assembly (GA), which we will run as in-person meeting at the upcoming EuroPython 2019, held in Basel, Switzerland from July 8 - 14.
Place of the General Assembly meeting:
We will meet on Thursday, July 11 2019, at 16:05 CEST in room Boston of the Congress Center Basel,
Messeplatz 21, 4058 Basel, Switzerland.
There will be a short talk to invite volunteers to participate in organizing EuroPython 2019 in preparation for next year’s event at 15:30 CEST in the same room, right before the General Assembly. You may want to attend that talk as well. In this talk, we will present the EuroPython Workgroup Concept, we have been using successfully for the past years now.
General Assembly Agenda
The agenda contents for the assembly is defined by the EPS bylaws. We are planning to use the following structure:
- Opening of the meeting
- Selection of meeting chair, secretary and 2 checkers of the minutes
- Motion establishing the timeliness of the call to the meeting
- Presentation of the annual report and annual accounts by the board
- Presentation of the report of the auditor
- Discharge from liability for the board
- Presentation of a budget by the outgoing board.
- Acceptance of budget and decision on membership fees for the upcoming year
- Election of members of the board
- Election of chair of the board
- Election of one auditor and one replacement. The auditor does not have to be certified in any way and is normally selected among the members of the society.
- The optional election of a nomination committee for the next annual meeting of the General Assembly
- Propositions from the board, if any
- Motions from the members, if any
- Closing of the meeting
In an effort to reduce the time it takes to go through this long list, which is mandated by the bylaws, we will try to send as much information to the members mailing list before the GA, so that we can limit presentations to a minimum.
Election of the members of the board
The EPS bylaws limit the number of board members to one chair and 2 - 8 directors, at most 9 directors in total. Experience has shown that the board members are the most active organizers of the EuroPython conference, so we try to get as many board members as possible to spread the work load.
All members of the EPS are free to nominate or self nominate board members. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Thursday, July 4 2019, if you want to run for board. We will then include you in the list we’ll have in the final nomination announcement before the GA, which is scheduled for July 5.
The following people from the current board have already shown interest in running for board in the next term as well (in alphabetical order):
- Martin Christen
- Silvia Uberti
- Anders Hammarquist
- Marc-André Lemburg
We will post more detailed information about the candidates and any new nominations we receive in a separate blog post.
Propositions from the board
- None at the moment.
The bylaws allow for additional propositions to be announced up until 5 days before the GA, so the above list is not necessarily the final list.
Motions from the members
- None at the moment.
EPS members are entitled to suggest motions to be voted on at the GA. The bylaws require any such motions to be announced at least 5 days before the GA. If you would like to propose a motion, please send it to email@example.com no later than Friday, July 4 2019, so we can announce the final list to everyone.